Soon, heart pills `as good as statins without side-effects`
London: A major breakthrough by British scientists could lead to a new cholesterol-busting pill without the potentially dangerous side effects of statins.
Scientists at the University of Edinburgh have found that cholesterol levels are suppressed by the body`s immune system as part of the process that fights off viral infections, the Daily Express reported.
“We have identified the immune hormone that does this. Statins are effective but crude drugs,” Professor Peter Ghazal, leader of the research team, said.
“This discovery gives the ability to be a little more refined and by being a lot more subtle in how to control the production of cholesterol you can prevent a lot of these adverse side-effects,” he noted.
Professor Ghazal hopes drugs to mimic the hormone that are just as effective as statins without their side effects may be an estimated five years away.
Statins have been hailed as a wonder drug for reducing the harmful blood fat that furs up arteries triggering tens of thousands of heart attacks and strokes that kill 150,000 people every year in Britain.
But there is evidence that some of the seven million people who take the daily heart pills can suffer side effects ranging from muscle aches and tummy upsets to a rare but serious lung disorder, as well as diabetes.
And for about one in four people statins do not reduce their cholesterol to a safe level because they do not work or patients cut the dose or stop taking them.
Yet experts believe the benefits of taking the tablets, that can cost as little as 4p a day, far outweigh any potential risks.
The new study is published in the journal Biochimie.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?