Spontaneous Human Combustion: Test results of `fire` baby normal, say doctors
Zee Media Bureau/Liji Varghese
New Delhi: In what can be termed as the rarest of rare cases, a three-month-old baby boy has been diagnosed with a `medical hoax` called Spontaneous Human Combustion – a condition in which the burns are caused as the body catches fire because of the excretion of gases.
Over a dozen tests have been performed on the baby to check the vital functions and according to doctors the reports so far are normal.
Though some medical experts suspect the baby could be a victim of child abuse, tests so far have revealed no such signs. The test of liver and kidney were said to be normal and X-ray results showed no damage to the bones. However, the doctors treating the baby are in no hurry to rule out the possibility of child abuse.
The baby`s blood, urine and sweat samples are also being analysed to check for any toxic substance, a doctor treating the baby informed. A biopsy of baby`s skin will also be carried out once he recovers from the burns, the doctor added.
Rahul, born on May 22 to Rajeswari and Karna, residents of a village in Villupuram, Tamil Nadu, was admitted for treatment of ten degree burns last Thursday at the intensive care unit of Kilpauk Medical College and Hospital, Chennai.
According to the parents, the baby suddenly caught fire at least four times since he was born, the first incident occurring just nine days after the birth.
Doctors are divided on their opinion about the rare medical condition, with some stating that it is a possibility and others completely rejecting it as a hoax.
The child, as of now is being given symptomatic treatment for burns with the administration of antibiotics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...