Statins can help in asthma treatment: Study
London: Asthma patients who take cholesterol-lowering drugs alongside inhaled corticosteroids are half as likely to require hospital attention, a new study has claimed.
Researchers at the University of Mississippi found that statins which have anti-inflammatory properties could be helpful in treating asthma which is an inflammatory condition, a newspaper reported.
"We know statins have uses beyond the treatment of heart conditions. They have anti-inflammatory properties, which means they have other as yet mostly unexplored purposes. Asthma is an inflammatory condition so there is clearly a link," consultant physician Dr Shahid Hamid, at Princess Royal University Hospital in Kent said.
The research studied 479 patients on statins and inhaled corticosteroids, and 958 just taking corticosteroids. At least one asthma-related hospitalisation was observed in 3.79 per cent of the first group, compared with 6.47 per cent of the second group.
"This is the most promising study yet, doctors are aware patients admitted to hospital with pnuemonia have a better prognosis if given statins," he was quoted by the paper as saying.
However, there has been controversy about taking statins for asthma and they may have unpleasant side effects.
"It is still too soon to start prescribing statins as a matter of course," Hamid said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan