Statins may up interstitial lung disease risk in smokers
Washington: Smokers who use statins may be more susceptible to interstitial lung disease (ILD), researchers say.
While some studies have suggested that statins might be beneficial in the treatment of fibrotic lung disease, others have suggested that they may contribute to the progression of pulmonary fibrosis by enhancing secretion of inflammasome-regulated cytokines, and numerous case reports have suggested that statins may contribute to the development of various types of ILD.
`Based on earlier case reports of statin-associated ILD and data suggesting that smoking is associated with the interstitial lung abnormalities (ILA) which underlie ILD, we hypothesized that statins would increase the risk for ILA in a population of smokers,`said George R. Washko MD, MMsC, and Gary M. Hunninghake MD, MPH, of the Division of Pulmonary and Critical Care at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston.
`Accordingly, we evaluated the association between statin use and ILA in a large cohort of current and former smokers from the COPDGene study.
`In addition to the association between statin use and ILA we found in humans, we also demonstrated that statin administration aggravated lung injury and fibrosis in bleomycin-treated mice,` he stated.
Bleomycin has been shown to induce lung inflammation and fibrosis.
After adjustment for a number of covariates, including a history of high cholesterol or coronary artery disease, statin users had a 60 percent increase in the odds of having ILA, compared to subjects not taking statins.
No other positive associations between ILA and cardiovascular medications or disorders were detected.
The association between statin use and ILA was greatest with statins with higher hydrophilicity (readily absorbed or dissolved in water), such as pravastatin, and in higher age groups.
The effects of statins on lung injury and fibrogenesis were also examined in a study in mice, which were pretreated with pravastatin prior to intratracheal bleomycin administration.
But there were some limitations to both studies. Findings in the mouse model were not replicated in human samples. All study subjects were current or former smokers, perhaps limiting the applicability of the results to others.
Cigarette smoking by itself may lead to pulmonary inflammation. Finally, the duration and dosage of statin therapy was not available for the majority of patients.
The findings were published online in the American Thoracic Society``s American Journal of Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- DNA: Exploitation of migrant workers in Qatar
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- MHA notification: SC issues notice to Delhi govt
- Special: The UP village where religion does not preach hatred
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 29, 2015
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared today soon
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- US formally removes Cuba from terror blacklist in landmark move
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be announced today at 10:30 AM
- Maggi noodles controversy: Case to be filed against Nestle in UP today
- Log on to ahsec.nic.in: AHSEC 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Arrival of Monsoon over Kerala delayed by 2-3 days: Met Department