Stroke drug kills bugs behind ulcers, TB
Stockholm: A drug used in treating ischemic strokes may help kill bugs that cause gastric ulcers and tuberculosis (TB). Ischemic stroke occurs when an artery to the brain is blocked.
The study from Karolinska Institutet in Sweden says a compound called ebselen effectively inhibits the thioredoxin reductase system in a wide variety of bugs, including H. pylori, which causes gastric ulcers, and Mycobacterium tuberculosis, which causes TB.
Thioredoxin and thioredoxin reductase proteins help bugs make new DNA, and protect them against oxidative stress (deterioration caused by excess oxygen) triggered by the immune system.
Targeting this system with ebselen and similar compounds represents a new approach toward eradicating these bugs, the FASEB Journal reports.
"This new antibacterial principle provides better chances of surviving an infection," said Arne Holmgren, researcher in medical biochemistry and biophysics at Karolinska Institutet, according to a statement.
"Since ebselen is also an antioxidant, the present mechanism can be described as a `two for the price of one` antioxidant action in inflammation, and specific targeting of multi-resistant bacterial complications and sepsis," said Holmgren.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's remark on 'intolerance'
- Rahul Gandhi spotted with hate speech convict Imran Masood in Saharanpur
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India