TB risk four times higher in diabetics
Copenhagen: The risk of developing tuberculosis (TB) is four times as higher if a person also suffers from diabetes, says recent research out of the University of Copenhagen.
A third of the world`s population, living in developing countries, carry a dormant tuberculosis bug, which remains a lifelong risk.
As a diabetic, a person is five times as likely to die during tuberculosis treatment. The growing number of diabetics in Asia and Africa increases the likelihood that more people will succumb to and die from tuberculosis in the future.
University of Copenhagen researchers have just completed a major research project in Tanzania in which they have documented that diabetes is far more widespread than previously thought, according to a Copenhagen statement.
The risk of dying from tuberculosis is increased if a person also has diabetes. In the past, diabetes was most commonly tied with the Western world while tuberculosis was more widespread throughout the developing world.
"Our studies show, firstly, that diabetes is hastily advancing in developing countries, not just in Asia, but in Africa as well. And secondly, that as a diabetic one is four times more at risk of developing tuberculosis and five times as likely to die under tuberculosis treatment," reports doctoral student and physician Daniel FaurholtJepsen, who has based his dissertation on the study.
The results of the study demonstrate that diabetes is a severe threat to the control of tuberculosis. "Tuberculosis kills more than a million people each year. The figure may be much higher in the future if nothing is done now," he said.
"We should develop better international guidelines for a combined treatment of diabetes and tuberculosis patients as well as better diagnostic methods, which can cheaply and effectively diagnose diabetes among tuberculosis patients," emphasises FaurholtJepsen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj