Treatment of hypothyroidism not linked to weight loss
Washington: Decreased thyroid function, or hypothyroidism, is commonly associated with weight gain, but a new study has found that effective treatment with levothyroxine (LT4) to restore normal thyroid hormone levels is not associated with clinically significant weight loss in most people.
Researchers SY Lee, LE Braverman, and EN Pearce describe the retrospective review of patients with newly diagnosed primary hypothyroidism over an 8-year period, not caused by thyroid cancer or other forms of disease or associated with pregnancy or use of prescription weight loss medication.
It was found that about 52 percent of the patients lost weight up to 24 months after initiation of treatment with LT4.
Ronald J. Koenig , M.D., Ph.D, Professor, Department of Internal Medicine, University of Michigan Medical Center, Ann Arbor, said because obesity and hypothyroidism are very common, there are many patients who have both conditions.
Koenig said that these patients and sometimes their physicians often assume the hypothyroidism is causing the obesity even though this may not be the case.
This study is important because it shows, unfortunately, that only about half of hypothyroid patients lose weight after the successful treatment of their hypothyroidism.
The study will be presented at the 83rd Annual Meeting of the American Thyroid Association, in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Four minors gang-rape teenage girl in Mumbai, circulate video on WhatsApp
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview