Tuberculosis still prevalent especially in areas with high HIV rates
Washington: Tuberculosis continues to remain a deadly threat worldwide, particularly in places with high HIV rates.
According to the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates, 8.8 million people contracted TB in 2010, with 1.4 million consequently dying from it. More than 95 percent of TB deaths occur in low and middle-income countries.
“TB, like many diseases, disproportionally affects the poor,” CBS News quoted Dr. Steve Neri, the Africa regional director for Project HOPE, as telling HealthPop.
“What makes TB dangerous is if you’re on treatment, and you don’t stay on treatment and finish your full course of medication - which for the regular form can be 6 months and for the drug-resistant strains up to 2 years - you can potentially develop a multidrug resistant TB or pass it on to other people.”
Project HOPE (Health Opportunities for People Everywhere) is a non-governmental organization (NGO) that offers land-based medical training and health education programs in over 35 countries.
One of the major TB related problems NGOs like Project HOPE are facing is that it often goes untreated, especially in areas with a high prevalence of HIV and AIDS.
Because often individuals with HIV contract TB - the WHO estimates it causes 25 percent of all deaths for HIV-positive individuals – a number of people incorrectly assume that the symptoms of TB mean they have HIV.
They then believe they have an incurable disease and do not seek treatment.
“We try to help the community to understand that one’s curable, one isn’t, one is a virus, one isn’t,” Neri explained.
“We want people to understand you do have the sings of TB, you need to get tested. If it is positive, we get you treated because TB is curable.”
Another problem HIV poses is than it can frequently make it challenging to properly diagnose TB victims.
Particularly in areas where available technology is often 100 years old, it can be hard to determine whether the person has TB and what form they have from a sample of phlegm smeared on a slide and a basic microscope.
What makes it worse is that individuals with HIV sometimes don’t have the bacteria linked with TB show up on their slides, leading to a wrong diagnosis that they are disease free.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo