UK boy with `no ears` gets a pair created from his own ribs
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In a rare medical condition, a 9-year-old boy from UK was born deaf and without fully formed ears, with small lobes instead of where his ears should be.
Doctors at Great Ormond Street Hospital gave Kieran Sorkin, a new lease of life after they performed a six-hour operation and created a new pair of ears using cartilage from his own ribs.
Sorkin was born deaf suffering with a rare condition called bilateral microtia, in which his external ear were not fully formed and instead had small lobes where his ears should be.
Before the surgery, Kieran was quoted as saying to a news agency, “I've always wanted big ears, and now I'm finally going to have them”.
Kieran's father said, “They are a little bit more receptive to deafness and to a child looking different. But this will boost his confidence no end”.
(With Agency inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Watch: Hafiz Saeed warns India of more terror attacks
- DNA: Army declares all soldiers in Siachen avalanche dead
- DNA: Indian Navy set to conduct International Fleet Review 2016
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch