UK boy with `no ears` gets a pair created from his own ribs
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In a rare medical condition, a 9-year-old boy from UK was born deaf and without fully formed ears, with small lobes instead of where his ears should be.
Doctors at Great Ormond Street Hospital gave Kieran Sorkin, a new lease of life after they performed a six-hour operation and created a new pair of ears using cartilage from his own ribs.
Sorkin was born deaf suffering with a rare condition called bilateral microtia, in which his external ear were not fully formed and instead had small lobes where his ears should be.
Before the surgery, Kieran was quoted as saying to a news agency, “I've always wanted big ears, and now I'm finally going to have them”.
Kieran's father said, “They are a little bit more receptive to deafness and to a child looking different. But this will boost his confidence no end”.
(With Agency inputs)
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read