UP: 15 more kids die of encephalitis, toll reaches 271
Gorakhpur: With the death of nine children on Thursday, as many as 15 more kids have succumbed due to encephalitis during the past three days here.
With this, the toll in the region this year due to the disease has risen to 271, health officials said.
While six children died on Tuesday, nine others succumbed today, they said, adding that the victims belonged to Gorakhpur and its adjoining districts of Kushinagar, Siddharthanagar and Sant Kabirnagar.
Seventy-one new patients with symptoms of Japanese Encephalitis (JE) and Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) were admitted to the BRD Medical College and other government hospitals in past two days, they said.
At present, 184 patients are undergoing treatment at various government hospitals in the region, they said.
1,272 patients had been treated in the region since January this year and of them, 65 were found positive for Japanese Encephalitis, and the remaining for Acute Encephalitis Syndrome.
Meanwhile, a team of National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR), which had met patients at the hospital wards here over a week back, identified malnutrition and contaminated drinking water as major causes for spread of the disease.
The Commission had issued instructions to provide compensations to the victims and ensure availability of safe drinking water in the affected areas.
The health department has intensified efforts to fight the disease and is offering necessary help to patients.
Death and disability certificates are being issued and India mark-II hand-pumps are being re-bored in the region, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?