UP: 15 more kids die of encephalitis, toll reaches 271
Gorakhpur: With the death of nine children on Thursday, as many as 15 more kids have succumbed due to encephalitis during the past three days here.
With this, the toll in the region this year due to the disease has risen to 271, health officials said.
While six children died on Tuesday, nine others succumbed today, they said, adding that the victims belonged to Gorakhpur and its adjoining districts of Kushinagar, Siddharthanagar and Sant Kabirnagar.
Seventy-one new patients with symptoms of Japanese Encephalitis (JE) and Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES) were admitted to the BRD Medical College and other government hospitals in past two days, they said.
At present, 184 patients are undergoing treatment at various government hospitals in the region, they said.
1,272 patients had been treated in the region since January this year and of them, 65 were found positive for Japanese Encephalitis, and the remaining for Acute Encephalitis Syndrome.
Meanwhile, a team of National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR), which had met patients at the hospital wards here over a week back, identified malnutrition and contaminated drinking water as major causes for spread of the disease.
The Commission had issued instructions to provide compensations to the victims and ensure availability of safe drinking water in the affected areas.
The health department has intensified efforts to fight the disease and is offering necessary help to patients.
Death and disability certificates are being issued and India mark-II hand-pumps are being re-bored in the region, officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...
- BMC poll results: Shiv Sena approaches Congress for pact, party says 'not interested'