UP encephalitis toll at 474, govt takes stock
Siddhartnagar: With the encephalitis toll in eastern Uttar Pradesh mounting to 474 this year, the Centre on Friday said it is mulling short, middle and long-term plans to control the epidemic.
The plan will be worked out soon, Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad told reporters here after visiting some of the affected areas.
Official sources said Azad`s visit came in the wake of a request by Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi.
Terming the deaths in Gorakhpur Medical College Hospital as unfortunate, he said, "It seems that vaccination drives are not carried out in a transparent manner from time to time or else the situation would have been better."
He said cooperation from all quarters was necessary to check spread of the epidemic and expressed concern over the shortage of para-medical staff.
Earlier, the minister reviewed the situation with the doctors and administrative staff of the district hospital here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- Preity Zinta to tie the knot this Valentine?
- JNU erupts over 'Shaheed Afzal Guru', 'Azad Kashmir'; rival student groups clash, police deployed