UP encephalitis toll at 474, govt takes stock
Siddhartnagar: With the encephalitis toll in eastern Uttar Pradesh mounting to 474 this year, the Centre on Friday said it is mulling short, middle and long-term plans to control the epidemic.
The plan will be worked out soon, Union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad told reporters here after visiting some of the affected areas.
Official sources said Azad`s visit came in the wake of a request by Congress General Secretary Rahul Gandhi.
Terming the deaths in Gorakhpur Medical College Hospital as unfortunate, he said, "It seems that vaccination drives are not carried out in a transparent manner from time to time or else the situation would have been better."
He said cooperation from all quarters was necessary to check spread of the epidemic and expressed concern over the shortage of para-medical staff.
Earlier, the minister reviewed the situation with the doctors and administrative staff of the district hospital here.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Essel Group Chairman Dr Subhash Chandra honoured in Haryana
- Watch: PM Modi's 23rd edition of Mann ki Baat
- Vishal Dadlani apologises after tweet on Jain monk backfires
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk
- Panel discussion on Vishal Dadlani's controversial tweet on Jain monk - Part II
- Major Dhyan Chand example of sportsman spirit, patriotism: PM Modi pays tribute to the hockey legend
- Two criminals arrested; stolen motorcycle, arms recovered
- Congress not to project a CM candidate in Gujarat
- Ranveer Singh's rendition of 'Pardesi Pardesi' is so bad it is actually good! - Watch video
- Balochistan Assembly adopts resolution against PM Narendra Modi - Know details