Vector-borne diseases should be prevented: WHO
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: WHO has decided to make vector-borne diseases the theme for this year's World Health Day celebrations on April 7 in order to generate awareness about them.
WHO said that vector-borne diseases like Malaria, Dengue and Japanese Encephalitis could be eradicated through preventive measures and more financial commitment for campaigns against the diseases.
At a press briefing the WHO representative to India, Nata Menabde said "We want to make people empowered to take decisions on their own to prevent these diseases,".
Menabde said there was a need to strengthen the overall healthcare system in the country to prevent these diseases and more financial commitment to contain them.
"I also want to emphasize the importance of the primary healthcare campaign in this regard," she said.
Asheena Khalakdina, WHO country office for India said, "In India, the National Health Mission has been important in curbing vector-borne diseases''.
The total burden of such diseases globally stands at 17 percent whereas a staggering 70 percent of such diseases are reported from low and middle income countries because of poor living conditions.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know