Watch out for early signs of stroke
Cerebrovascular accident (CVA) or stroke is the condition in which blood flow to the brain is obstructed and hence there is a rapid loss of brain function. It can be caused by rupture of an artery in the brain or the blocking of a blood vessel by a clot. It is the second leading cause of death worldwide after heart diseases.
There are two main types of stroke:
This can occur when blood flow to a part of the brain is interrupted leading to brain tissue damage in that area. This can occur due to blocking of a blood vessel by a clot formed locally (thrombosis), an embolus (it is a free-floating clot formed somewhere else) causing the obstruction (embolism), decrease in blood flow due to shock (systemic hypoperfusion) or a blood clot in the dural venous sinuses draining blood from the brain (venous thrombosis).
A hemorrhagic stroke can occur when a blood vessel on the brain's surface bursts and bleeds in between the brain and skull (subarachnoid haemorrhage) or when a there is a rupture and bleeding inside the brain (cerebral haemorrhage).
Apart from these two, there is the silent stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA) occurs when blood flow to part of the brain is blocked temporarily.
It is important to be able to recognise the signs and symptoms of a stroke as it can save life and lead to early recovery.
- Numbness or weakness of the leg, arm or face, especially on one side
- Drooping of face
- Confusion or showing lack of comprehension
- Difficulty in speaking
- Trouble seeing in one or both eyes
- Dizziness, loss of balance or coordination
- Severe headache
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Atrial fibrillation
- History of stroke in the family
- Previous stroke or transient ischemic attack (TIA)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what