Way to make cancer cells more responsive to chemotherapy identified
Washington: A new research from Western University has shed light on why some cancer cells don`t respond to chemotherapy, and identified a mechanism to rectify that.
Breast cancer characterized as "triple negative" carries a poor prognosis, with limited treatment options. In some cases, chemotherapy doesn`t kill the cancer cells the way it`s supposed to.
Dr. Shawn Li, PhD, and his team at Western`s Schulich School of Medicine and Dentistry, identified that a protein called Numb functions to promote the death of cancer cells by binding to and stabilizing a tumor suppressor protein called p53 -a master regulator of cell death.
The scientists found when Numb is reduced or methylated by an enzyme called Set8, it will no longer protect p53.
"If you don`t have Numb in a cell, then the p53 can be degraded very quickly, and these cells become resistant to chemotherapy," explained Li, a professor of Biochemistry and Canada Research Chair in Cellular Proteomics and Functional Genomics.
"So if we can prevent Numb from being methylated in cancer cells, then we will have the means to sensitize the cell to chemotherapy," he explained.
Now that he`s identified the Set8-Numb-p53 pathway, Li is investigating various drugs to find a Set8 inhibitor, which could be used as a novel breast cancer therapy alone, or in combination with other chemotherapy regiments.
The research has been published in the latest issue of Molecular Cell.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?