Ways to help reduce colorectal cancer risk revealed
Washington: Researchers have revealed few ways to help reduce and prevent risk of colorectal cancer-cancer of the colon or rectum affecting both men and women- which is the second leading cause of cancer deaths in the United States.
"Before someone gets colon cancer, there is a precancerous polyp that can be removed", Steven Itzkowitz , MD, Director of the Gastroenterology Fellowship Program at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, said. "Because polyps do not usually cause symptoms, it is important to go for screening even if you feel perfectly well".
In addition to screening, diet and lifestyle changes can help reduce your risk for colorectal cancer. Experts offer few ways to help lower your chances.
It has been advised that quitting smoking can help. Not only can smoking predispose a person to colon cancer, but it can also cause many others. Consider joining a smoking cessation group or ask your doctor for assistance.
Keep the weight down. Maintaining a healthy weight is critical. Incorporate simple lifestyle changes into your day: eat breakfast every morning, bring lunch to work, and order an appetizer instead of an entree when eating out.
The experts revealed that one can lower their risk by increasing their activity level. Completing 150 to 300 minutes of physical activity a week, which is easily achieved in 20-30 minute increments daily, can help.
Increasing dietary fiber by having more fruits, vegetables and whole grains in your diet can help move waste material out of the body more efficiently. Swap out white rice, boxed mashed potatoes and pasta for brown rice, quinoa, faro or wheat berries.
It was suggested that limiting alcohol consumption and lowering red meat intake can also help cut the risk of colorectal cancer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Kejriwal, Mamata to attend Mother Teresa's canonization in Rome on Sept 4
- Flood situation worsens in Assam; Uttarakhand experiences intermittent rain
- Katrina Kaif JOKES about her actual thought behind 'Kala Chashma'—READ inside!
- Two women assaulted at Madhya Pradesh railway station for carrying beef
- Memorial for India's 'missile man': Naidu, Parrikar unveil statue of APJ Abdul Kalam in Rameswaram