West Africa Ebola outbreak among `most challenging` ever: WHO
Zee Media Bureau
Geneva: Ebola virus is becoming the next menace in West Africa and has claimed about 111 lives. Examining the death toll and the dangers that this virus possesses, WHO has declared Ebola outbreak among the "most challenging" ever.
The assistant director-general of the World Health Organisation, Keiji Fukuda, said the agency was concerned about the spread of the outbreak from its hub in the forests of southern Guinea.
"We have not had an Ebola outbreak in this part of Africa before," said Fukuda, whose agency has rushed scores of aid workers to the region to contain the epidemic.
The most severe strains of Ebola have had a fatality rate of up to 90 per cent and there is no vaccine, cure or specific treatment.
The outbreak has sparked fear in Guinea, where a mob in the south of the country last week attacked international aid workers, who they blame for bringing the haemorrhagic fever.
"These kind of outbreaks are often surrounded by a great deal of fear and anxiety," Fukuda said.
According to fresh figures released by the WHO today, there have been 157 suspected cases in Guinea -- the ground zero of the disease -- 101 of them fatal. Of those, 67 have been confirmed as Ebola victims by laboratory tests.
Twenty of the cases have been in the capital Conakry, a sprawling port city on Guinea's Atlantic coast that is home to between 1.5 million and two million people.
Other countries across west Africa have been bracing against the epidemic, with Senegal closing its border with Guinea to stop it spreading.
"Ebola is clearly a severe disease. It's an infection with a high fatality rate. But it's also an infection that can be controlled," Fukuda said.
"Our main purpose is really to support the affected countries, in terms of trying to prevent infections, stop infections, stop the outbreak, and then make sure that those who are sick get the best possible care."
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- Delhi HC turns down plea challenging LG Jung's authority
- DNA: Pentagon report says Beijing accelerates land reclamation in South China Sea
- IIT Madras bans Dalit students forum for 'criticising' PM Modi
- Radioactive nuclear medicine leak detected at Delhi's IGI Airport
- DNA: Blow to Kejriwal, Delhi High Court backs LG
- IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani hits back, challenges Rahul Gandhi to a debate
- DNA: World soccer rocked by Swiss arrests of FIFA officials for graft
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere
- Dangerous levels of toxins in Delhi's air as heat and dust intensify
- Check out: Salman Khan goes across the border in 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' teaser
- Top 5 places to eat in Delhi University's campuses
- Baal nahi ball ko dekho: Sachin Tendulkar's tip to tackle Lasith Malinga
- Waiting for Jaypee to come back to me on Indian GP's return in 2016: Bernie Ecclestone
- BSEB (biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in): Bihar board 12th Arts result to be declared tomorrow on May 30
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be announced today at 10:30 AM