Why autistic kids tends to keep to themselves
Washington: Researchers have made a breakthrough that could help explain their lack of interest in external stimuli, including interactions with other people.
They discovered that the brains of autistic kids generate more information at rest - a 42 per cent increase on average.
This paper determined that the differences account for the increased complexity within their brains.
Roberto Fernandez Galan, PhD, senior author and associate professor of neurosciences at Case Western Reserve School of Medicine, said that their results suggest that autistic kids are not interested in social interactions because their brains generate more information at rest, which they interpret as more introspection in line with early descriptions of the disorder.
The authors quantified information as engineers normally do but instead of applying it to signals in electronic devices, they applied it to brain activity recorded with magnetoencephalography (MEG).
They showed that autistic children's brains at rest generate more information than non-autistic children. This may explain their lack of interest in external stimuli, including interactions with other people.
The researchers also quantified interactions between brain regions, i.e., the brain's functional connectivity, and determined the inputs to the brain in the resting state allowing them to interpret the children's introspection level.
The study has been published in journal Frontiers in Neuroinformatics.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Pandal Politics: Shiv Sena slams Bombay High Court's order- Part 2
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra