Why is it important to know common warning signs of stroke?
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
What is a stroke?
A stroke can be defined as a condition in which the brain cells suddenly die due to lack of oxygen.
Sometimes, stroke is referred to as a cerebrovascular accident (CVA), cerebrovascular insult (CVI), or colloquially brain attack.
Two main types of stroke are:
Ischemic stroke- occurs when a vessel supplying blood to the brain becomes blocked.
Hemorrhagic stroke- occurs when a blood vessel on the brain's surface ruptures thus filling the space between the skull and brain with blood.
While stroke is a medical emergency and can cause permanent neurological damage or death, it can be treated. Therefore recognising and responding promptly to the warning signs is crucial as doing so can significantly help improve survival as well as recovery.
Following are some of the common symptoms of a stroke:
Sudden numbness or weakness in the face, arm or leg.
Sudden vision problems in one or both eyes.
Sudden trouble in walking, loss of balance or coordination.
Sudden confusion, trouble speaking.
Sudden severe and unusual headache.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?