Why is pancreatic cancer so dangerous?
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
What is pancreatic cancer?
Pancreatic cancer is a malignant tumour originating from transformed cells arising in tissues forming the pancreas. It often has a poor prognosis, even when diagnosed early.
Pancreatic cancer is so dangerous because it generally grows and spreads silently before it's discovered, and which is a major reason why it's a leading cause of cancer death.
The pancreas is a six-inch long gland and lies between stomach and spine. It makes digestive juices (that break down food so that it can be absorbed into your body) and insulin (that controls the level of sugar in your blood).
Signs and symptoms
Since pancreatic cancer goes undetected until it is in advanced stage, signs and symptoms only occur after the cancer begins to spread and grow. Common symptoms may include:
- Upper abdominal pain that typically radiates to your back
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea and vomiting
- Weight loss
- Heart burn
- Diarrhoea, loose stools
While the exact cause of pancreatic cancer is not clear, smoking is believed to be the major risk factor for pancreatic cancer. Other risk factors include - age, race, family history, diabetes, excess body weight.
Although there are no established guidelines to prevent pancreatic cancer, one can take steps that may reduce its risk.
Quit smoking: The American Cancer Society (ACS) suggests quitting smoking as cigarette smoking has been reported as accountable for 20-30% pancreatic cancers. If you smoke, quit it immediately. If you do not smoke, don't ever do it.
Maintain a healthy weight: Daily exercise combined with a diet rich in vegetables and fruits can help maintain a healthy weight.
Fruits and vegetables: An increase in intake of fruits and vegetables and whole grains while cutting back on red meat consumption may reduce the risk of cancer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read