Why is pancreatic cancer so dangerous?
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
What is pancreatic cancer?
Pancreatic cancer is a malignant tumour originating from transformed cells arising in tissues forming the pancreas. It often has a poor prognosis, even when diagnosed early.
Pancreatic cancer is so dangerous because it generally grows and spreads silently before it's discovered, and which is a major reason why it's a leading cause of cancer death.
The pancreas is a six-inch long gland and lies between stomach and spine. It makes digestive juices (that break down food so that it can be absorbed into your body) and insulin (that controls the level of sugar in your blood).
Signs and symptoms
Since pancreatic cancer goes undetected until it is in advanced stage, signs and symptoms only occur after the cancer begins to spread and grow. Common symptoms may include:
- Upper abdominal pain that typically radiates to your back
- Loss of appetite
- Nausea and vomiting
- Weight loss
- Heart burn
- Diarrhoea, loose stools
While the exact cause of pancreatic cancer is not clear, smoking is believed to be the major risk factor for pancreatic cancer. Other risk factors include - age, race, family history, diabetes, excess body weight.
Although there are no established guidelines to prevent pancreatic cancer, one can take steps that may reduce its risk.
Quit smoking: The American Cancer Society (ACS) suggests quitting smoking as cigarette smoking has been reported as accountable for 20-30% pancreatic cancers. If you smoke, quit it immediately. If you do not smoke, don't ever do it.
Maintain a healthy weight: Daily exercise combined with a diet rich in vegetables and fruits can help maintain a healthy weight.
Fruits and vegetables: An increase in intake of fruits and vegetables and whole grains while cutting back on red meat consumption may reduce the risk of cancer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly