Why women suffer from depression more than men
New York: Women are more likely to suffer from depression and anxiety-related disorders because the sex hormone oestrogen drives more blood to the heads of young women compared to men.
It is during puberty that the gender difference may originate, a significant study indicated.
“These results may have important implications for neuropsychiatric disorders with adolescent onset and strong gender disparities such as mood disorders, anxiety disorders and schizophrenia,” said Theodore Satterthwaite, a professor at University of Pennsylvania.
In general, females have a higher prevalence of anxiety and depression and in males higher prevalence of schizophrenia, Satterthwaite explained.
For the study, researchers used magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans to analyse the development of brain blood flow in 922 young people between ages eight and 22 to find out when such sex changes emerge.
The study found the areas of a girl's brain that saw the highest increase in blood flow was that which deals with emotions and controls social situations.
“The parts of the brain that saw the highest difference of blood flow were in parts of the brain associated with higher cognitive functions,” Satterthwaite added.
The study appeared in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference