Women with heart disease at greater risk of cognitive problems
London: Women with heart disease may be at three times the risk of developing problems with thinking that could lead to dementia, a new study has claimed.
Researchers from the Mayo Clinic in US, found that older women with heart disease were three times more likely to go on to develop problems with their thinking skills, such as problem solving, language and judgement than healthy women.
The problems are associated with certain types of dementia although they do not involve memory loss.
It is thought that heart disease affects the general health of the blood vessels which may affect blood flow to the brain.
"Prevention and management of cardiac disease and vascular risk factors are likely to reduce the risk," lead author, Dr Rosebud Roberts, a health sciences researcher at Mayo Clinic in Rochester, said.
The team evaluated 2,719 people aged between 70 to 89 at the beginning of the study and every 15 months after.
Of the 1,450 without mild cognitive impairment at the beginning, 669 had heart disease and 59 or 8.8 per cent, developed non-amnestic mild cognitive impairment.
By comparison 34 or 4.4 per cent of 781 who did not have heart disease developed non-amnestic mild cognitive impairment.
Overall it meant that the risk of thinking problems but not memory loss were 77 per cent higher in those with heart disease.
When broken down by sex, it was found the majority of this effect was accounted for by women who had a three fold increased risk if they had heart disease.
The findings were published in the Journal of the American Medical Association Neurology.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed