World Asthma Day: Know the early signs and symptoms
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
It's quite possible that many people might be walking around with asthma and not even know it. Only a doctor can diagnose asthma based on your medical and family histories, a physical exam, and test results.
Asthma is defined as a common chronic inflammatory disease of the airways that makes breathing difficult. It is also a condition in which your airways narrow and swell producing extra mucus.
WHO estimates that 235 million people currently suffer from asthma. It is the most common non-communicable disease among children.
Though it's not clear what exactly causes asthma, it's likely due to a combination of genetic and environmental factors.
Since asthma changes over time, it's important to talk to your doctor about all of your concerns asking lots of questions.
Asthma can't be cured, but appropriate management can control the disorder enabling people to enjoy a good quality of life.
Not every person with asthma has the same symptoms in the same way. It ranges from severe to mild and differ from person to person.
Common asthma symptoms include:
Shortness of breath
Coughing, especially at night
Chest tightness or pain
Trouble sleeping due to shortness of breath, coughing or wheezing.
Symptoms generally worsen at night and in the early morning. It may also worsen in response to cold air or exercise. Also, some people with asthma seldom experience symptoms, usually in response to triggers, others may have marked and persistent symptoms.
If you experience any of the above symptoms and think that you have asthma, you must consult a doctor immediately and have your symptoms properly diagnosed to avoid long-term lung damage and to avert the condition from worsening over time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- IIT Kharagpur students design racing car to compete in Russia
- IRCTC to offer Rs 10 lakh insurance cover for Re 1
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security?
- Are political parties playing vote politics in the name of cow-security? - Part II
- Girl's hug prank on strangers backfires. See how – Watch
- Watch: Jeff Williams shares spectacular view of Albuquerque, New Mexico from space!
- Facebook page started by Army man's son will move you with stories of bravery and courage
- Turkey orders 47 newspaper journalists, executives detained
- 'Dishoom' hunks Varun Dhawan-John Abraham relish king-like breakfast, ecstatic for big release! - See pic