World Asthma Day: Know the early signs and symptoms
Zee Media Bureau/Salome Phelamei
It's quite possible that many people might be walking around with asthma and not even know it. Only a doctor can diagnose asthma based on your medical and family histories, a physical exam, and test results.
Asthma is defined as a common chronic inflammatory disease of the airways that makes breathing difficult. It is also a condition in which your airways narrow and swell producing extra mucus.
WHO estimates that 235 million people currently suffer from asthma. It is the most common non-communicable disease among children.
Though it's not clear what exactly causes asthma, it's likely due to a combination of genetic and environmental factors.
Since asthma changes over time, it's important to talk to your doctor about all of your concerns asking lots of questions.
Asthma can't be cured, but appropriate management can control the disorder enabling people to enjoy a good quality of life.
Not every person with asthma has the same symptoms in the same way. It ranges from severe to mild and differ from person to person.
Common asthma symptoms include:
Shortness of breath
Coughing, especially at night
Chest tightness or pain
Trouble sleeping due to shortness of breath, coughing or wheezing.
Symptoms generally worsen at night and in the early morning. It may also worsen in response to cold air or exercise. Also, some people with asthma seldom experience symptoms, usually in response to triggers, others may have marked and persistent symptoms.
If you experience any of the above symptoms and think that you have asthma, you must consult a doctor immediately and have your symptoms properly diagnosed to avoid long-term lung damage and to avert the condition from worsening over time.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj