World Malaria Day 2014: How to avoid mosquito bites and prevent malaria infections
Although, malaria mortality rates have fallen by 42% globally and 49% in Africa, this life-threatening disease needs to be watched and treated in time.
According to the World Health Organisation (WHO) latest estimates, released in December 2013, there were about 207 million cases of malaria in 2012 and an estimated 627000 deaths, mainly children under 5 years of age in sub-Saharan Africa.
Malaria is caused by Plasmodium parasites that are transmitted to people through the bites of infected mosquitoes.
World Malaria Day (WMD) is observed on April 25 every year to highlight the need for continued investment and sustained political commitment for malaria prevention and control.
Malaria is a curable and preventable, but can be deadly if left untreated.
Preventive measures include:
Avoid mosquitoes bites: This is the first and foremost line of defence for malaria prevention. You can avoid mosquito bites by following these guidelines such as by - using a mosquito net while sleeping, wearing protective clothing (long sleeved-shirts and long pants), spraying your home with insecticide, staying inside between dusk and dawn if possible. Also insect repellent with DEET can be used on skin.
Medicines: If you're travelling to a region where malaria is common, you should take precautions so that you do not contract it. Tell your doctor which location you will be travelling so that he can prescribe you the right medicine depending on the type of malaria parasite most commonly found in that region. Take the medication as prescribed by your doctor – before, during and after your trip to avoid getting malaria.
Vaccines: As of now, there are no licensed vaccines against malaria or any other human parasite even as scientists are working on developing effective vaccines against the disease.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks