New simple blood test to diagnose tuberculosis in kids
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: Tuberculosis in children can now be detected with a simple blood test.
Earlier the diagnosis of TB was often difficult because the symptoms in children are mostly non-specific and similar to those of other illnesses like pneumonia and malnutrition.
This blood test named as TAM-TB assay is the first reliable immunodiagnostic assay to detect active tuberculosis in children, and is a major advance for the diagnosis of tuberculosis, particularly in tuberculosis-endemic regions.
TAM-TB assay provides a fast and accurate tool to diagnose tuberculosis in children. It is a sputum-independent blood test and makes use of an immunological phenomenon during tuberculosis disease. During an active infection, the expression of CD27 -a surface marker expressed on mycobacteria specific CD4+ T cells is lost. Using standard intracellular cytokine staining procedures and polychromatic flow cytometry, the test result is available within 24 hours after blood sampling.
TB is a global public health emergency according to WHO and a serious health problem especially in low-resource countries . Every year about 1 million children die due to this disease.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?