New simple blood test to diagnose tuberculosis in kids
Zee Media Bureau
Washington: Tuberculosis in children can now be detected with a simple blood test.
Earlier the diagnosis of TB was often difficult because the symptoms in children are mostly non-specific and similar to those of other illnesses like pneumonia and malnutrition.
This blood test named as TAM-TB assay is the first reliable immunodiagnostic assay to detect active tuberculosis in children, and is a major advance for the diagnosis of tuberculosis, particularly in tuberculosis-endemic regions.
TAM-TB assay provides a fast and accurate tool to diagnose tuberculosis in children. It is a sputum-independent blood test and makes use of an immunological phenomenon during tuberculosis disease. During an active infection, the expression of CD27 -a surface marker expressed on mycobacteria specific CD4+ T cells is lost. Using standard intracellular cytokine staining procedures and polychromatic flow cytometry, the test result is available within 24 hours after blood sampling.
TB is a global public health emergency according to WHO and a serious health problem especially in low-resource countries . Every year about 1 million children die due to this disease.
With Agency Inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!