Zee Media Bureau
Check the internet and you will find acidity to be one of the most top health related queries. Often after eating a meal, when you feel a burning sensation in your stomach or you reel under constipation and indigestion, you are suffering from acidity or acid reflux.
Acidity is a common condition which is caused due to the excess production of acid by the gastric glands of the stomach.
The most common causes of acidity:
The stomach normally secretes acid that is essential in the digestive process. This acid helps in breaking down the food during digestion. When there is excess production of acid by the gastric glands of the stomach, it results in the condition known as acidity. Know the other causes
- Consumption of alcohol, highly spicy foodstuffs, irregular food habits, and Non Steroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs)
- Smoking (active or passive)
- High intake of table salt
- Low dietary fibre intake
- Low levels of physical exercise
- Certain medications, including drugs for asthma, calcium-channel blockers, antihistamines, painkillers, sedatives, and antidepressants.
The common signs and symptoms that you might experience are -
- Indigestion and burning in the stomach
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Chest or upper abdominal pain
- Sour taste or bad breath
- Throat problems - soreness, hoarseness, or laryngitis