21 mn people are disabled in India: Minister
New Delhi: Over 21 million people in the country are disabled out of which 10 million are blind, Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment Mukul Wasnik said in Lok Sabha Monday.
A total of 21,906,769 people suffer from various disabilities in the country and Uttar Pradesh alone is home to 3,453,369, Wasnik informed the lower house.
He was citing the figures from the data provided by the 2001 Census.
The disability among the affected population range from hearing to mental.
Uttar Pradesh is followed by Bihar and West Bengal with disabled population of 1,887,6771 and 1,84,7174, respectively.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know