21 mn people are disabled in India: Minister
New Delhi: Over 21 million people in the country are disabled out of which 10 million are blind, Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment Mukul Wasnik said in Lok Sabha Monday.
A total of 21,906,769 people suffer from various disabilities in the country and Uttar Pradesh alone is home to 3,453,369, Wasnik informed the lower house.
He was citing the figures from the data provided by the 2001 Census.
The disability among the affected population range from hearing to mental.
Uttar Pradesh is followed by Bihar and West Bengal with disabled population of 1,887,6771 and 1,84,7174, respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what