21 mn people are disabled in India: Minister
New Delhi: Over 21 million people in the country are disabled out of which 10 million are blind, Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment Mukul Wasnik said in Lok Sabha Monday.
A total of 21,906,769 people suffer from various disabilities in the country and Uttar Pradesh alone is home to 3,453,369, Wasnik informed the lower house.
He was citing the figures from the data provided by the 2001 Census.
The disability among the affected population range from hearing to mental.
Uttar Pradesh is followed by Bihar and West Bengal with disabled population of 1,887,6771 and 1,84,7174, respectively.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider