251 children die of encephalitis in Bihar
Patna: At least 251 children died following an outbreak of encephalitis in Bihar since May this year, a health official said today.
The highest number of 172 children died of the disease at Sri Krishna Medical College and Hospital (SKMCH) and Kejriwal Charitable Hospital in Muzaffarpur, Additional Secretary (Health) R P Ojha told reporters.
Another 63 children died at the Patna Medical College and Hospital (PMCH), while 11 others succumbed to encephalitis at the Anugrah Narayan Magadh Medical College and Hospital (ANMMCH) at Gaya.
The remaining five children died under similar circumstances in Vaishali district, he said.
A total of 662 children showed symptoms of the disease following its outbreak in May this year, Ojha said.
The high casualty figure was attributed to the heat wave conditions prevailing in past few months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will step down if chair becomes impediment in father's vision for J&K: Mehbooba Mufti
- Nuke programme made Pakistan's defence impregnable: Nawaz Sharif
- Indian Army now confirms Hizbul Mujahideen militant Tariq Pandit held
- Kepler 62f: An exoplanet 1200 light years away may be habitable!
- UEFA Champions League final: Five classic Real Madrid-Atletico Madrid derbies