56% drop in HIV infections amongst Indians since 2000
New Delhi: The number of new annual HIV infections has declined by around 56 percent during the last decade in the country, the Lok Sabha was informed Friday.
Minister of State for Health S. Gandhiselvan said that based on HIV estimations 2010, it is estimated that India had approximately 1.2 lakh new infections in 2009, as against 2.7 lakh in 2000.
"Similar reduction in HIV incidence has been noted in all the high prevalence states in the southern and northeastern region. However, some low prevalence states have shown a slight increase in the number of new infections over the past two years," he said.
Of the 1.2 lakh estimated new infections in 2009, the six high prevalence states account for only 39 percent of the cases, while the states of Odisha, Bihar, West Bengal, Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan, Madhya Pradesh and Gujarat account for 41 percent of new infections.
"In regard to number of reported HIV/AIDS cases registered in ART (anti-retroviral therapy) centres for HIV care, during the year 2010-11, 320,114 HIV/AIDS cases were registered against 246,627 in 2009-10. However, during 2011-12, the same number has been decreased to 275,377 cases," Gandhiselvan said.
The minister said that there was significant decline in HIV prevalence among female sex workers and young women (15-24 years) seeking antenatal care in the high-prevalence southern states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Mbose.in HSSLC SSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (Megresults.nic.in) MBOSE Tura 10th 12th (Arts) board exam results 2016 to be announced today on May 25
- Mahresult.nic.in 12th HSC Results 2016 Maharashtra Board: Hscresult.mkcl.org MSBSHSE HSC Class 12th XII (+2) Results 2016 to be declared today on May 25 at 1 PM
- Biharboard.ac.in & biharboard.bih.nic.in BSEB 12th Inter Arts Results 2016: Bihar Board Class 12 XII Intermediate Arts Results 2016 to be announced today on 25th May, 2016 at 3 PM
- Mbose.in HSSLC 12th Results 2016: Meghalaya Board (megresults.nic.in) class 12th HSSLC Arts exam results 2016, MBOSE to be declared today on May 25 at 10 AM
- Uttarakhand board Class 10th results 2016 to be declared today on May 25, 2016 at 11 AM