Centre urged to set up task force to eradicate Kalazar
Patna: Bihar today urged the Centre to set up a special task force to eradicate the deadly Kalazar disease along the lines of the one on polio eradication programme.
The disease causes death of a large number of people, particularly children, throughout the country and the Centre had a significant role to play in tackling it as the medicines are directly procured and supplied by central agencies, state health minister Ashwini Kumar Choubey told reporters here.
Kalazar was, however, more rampant in Bihar with 33 out of its total 38 districts in its grip for the past several decades.
Choubey said that the state government has roped in the NGOs to work for Kalazar eradication and numbers of deaths and illness due to it have reduced over the years.
The NGOs were not only providing medicines to the affected but were also carrying out a concerted campaign among the people, particularly those living in rural areas, to improve their hygienic condition to check proliferation of flies that cause kalazar.
The state government would observe Kalazar eradication day tomorrow, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra