Centre urged to set up task force to eradicate Kalazar
Patna: Bihar today urged the Centre to set up a special task force to eradicate the deadly Kalazar disease along the lines of the one on polio eradication programme.
The disease causes death of a large number of people, particularly children, throughout the country and the Centre had a significant role to play in tackling it as the medicines are directly procured and supplied by central agencies, state health minister Ashwini Kumar Choubey told reporters here.
Kalazar was, however, more rampant in Bihar with 33 out of its total 38 districts in its grip for the past several decades.
Choubey said that the state government has roped in the NGOs to work for Kalazar eradication and numbers of deaths and illness due to it have reduced over the years.
The NGOs were not only providing medicines to the affected but were also carrying out a concerted campaign among the people, particularly those living in rural areas, to improve their hygienic condition to check proliferation of flies that cause kalazar.
The state government would observe Kalazar eradication day tomorrow, he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history
- DNA: Analysis of 17 years of Kargil war history- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- Rio Olympics: Saina Nehwal seeded 5th, PV Sindhu 9th for the 2016 Games
- Volkswagen gets preliminary approval for US diesel settlement
- Parliament passes bill to allow kids below 14 to be engaged in 'home-based work'
- NASA discovers alien solar system with tighlty packed planets in unsusual orbits
- PMO directs Niti Aayog to work on restructuring of UGC, AICTE