`Coordinated efforts needed to tackle water-borne diseases`
New Delhi: Concerned over the contamination of water by arsenic and other elements, the Ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation has sought "greater convergence” with the Ministry of Health to deal with the menace.
Rural Development Minister Jairam Ramesh, who also holds the portfolio of Drinking Water and Sanitation, has written to Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad seeking "greater convergence" between two Ministries to prevent the water-borne diseases.
Armed with the increased budgetary support provided by Finance Minister Minister Pranab Mukherjee, Ramesh said that he would like to utilize the additional resources allocated to his Ministry on projects that deal with water quality issues.
"I would like to focus the additional resources we get sharply on projects that deal with water-quality issues like arsenic and fluoride contamination, that have public health
impacts as well as in areas where water-borne diseases like Acute Encephalitis Syndrome/ Japanese Encephalitis have assumed serious dimensions," the Minister said.
Recognising the importance of Rural Drinking Water Supply and Sanitation, Finance Minister Minister Pranab Mukherjee has made an allocation of Rs 14,000 crore for it in 2012-2013 as opposed to the allocation of Rs 11000 crore last year.
"I have been assured a substantial increase in the budgetary outlay for rural drinking water sanitation in 2012-13. I expect the momentum to be maintained thereafter as
well," Ramesh said in his letter.
Addressing the second meeting of the National Drinking Water and Sanitation Council here in February, Ramesh had said water quality will be the focus of the ministry of Drinking Water and Sanitation when it gets additional resources in the upcoming Union Budget.
When the menace of Japanese Encephalitis hit Gorakhpur district of Uttar Pradesh last year, Ramesh had said that his Ministry will work in coordination with the Union Health
Ministry and prepare an action plan to subdue the menace.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH