Health Ministry alone cannot decide ban on sale of gutkha: Azad
New Delhi: Amid demands for ban on sale of gutkha, Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad today said he alone could not take a decision on the matter as it required consultation with the Finance Ministry.
"I respect your sentiments. I agree, there should be some restriction, but I cannot take the decision alone. I will have to consult the Finance Ministry," Azad told the Lok Sabha during Question Hour.
Several BJP members demanded that the Centre should take cue from Madhya Pradesh and ban the manufacture and sale of gutkha. Madhya Pradesh has banned the manufacture and sale of gutkha from April this year.
Azad said the government has also launched awareness campaigns on the ill effects of smoking and chewing tobacco.
"We have purchased prime time slots on 30 radio station and 30 regional Doordarshan channels for awareness campaigns on health issues," he said.
To a question, Azad said he has not received any significant report regarding corruption in the National Rural Health Mission in Madhya Pradesh.
Azad said he had asked the Comptroller and Auditor General to audit NRHM schemes in various states.
The Minister said that a Central Procurement Agency, to purchase medicines, will be established by the year end.
To a question, Azad said that Bihar would get medicines for treatment of Kala Azar in two to three months.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks