`India close to wiping out polio`
New Delhi: Health officials say there has not been a case of polio in India for nine months, the longest the country has ever been polio free.
India`s health ministry says the country has never been closer to wiping out the debilitating disease since eradication efforts were launched here nearly two decades ago.
India remains one of only four countries in the world where polio is still endemic.
Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said Monday the last new case was reported in January in West Bengal state and no cases were reported in the traditional polio reservoirs of Bihar and Uttar Pradesh.
He said any fresh case of the virus would be declared a public health emergency.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Shocking update in Sheena Bora case: Indrani Mukerjea was sexually molested by her father?
- Sheena Bora was introduced to me as aunt: Indrani Mukerjea-Sanjeev Khanna's daughter Vidhie
- After Naved, another Pakistani terrorist Sajjad Ahmed caught alive in Jammu and Kashmir