India committed to eradicate polio: Azad
New Delhi: India is committed to eradicating polio from the country and several initiatives are being taken to prevent the highly infectious disease from spreading, union Health Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad said.
Azad made the comments Friday at a function in Chicago where he was presented with the Polio Champion Award by Rotary International in recognition of efforts towards the eradication of polio.
Azad was conferred this award last year too.
"I want to re-affirm India`s commitment towards polio eradication," said a statement by Azad, issued here Saturday.
This year, only one polio case has been reported in the country so far, compared to 741 cases in 2009 and 42 in 2010.
Azad said vaccination is one of the most cost effective public health interventions as it provides direct and effective protection against preventable morbidity and mortality.
India runs one of the world`s largest immunisation programmes in which around 26 million children born every year are covered, he said.
While India has been able to eliminate type 2 strain of polio, it has yet to wipe out the type 1 and 3 strains.
Azad said they have introduced bivalent vaccine since January 2010 and which has resulted in significant success.
He also said they have prepared an emergency preparedness and response plan, which will be put in action in case more cases are reported.
"It will be treated as a public health emergency," he added.
India has spent approximately $240 million for the polio programme since the beginning of the 11th plan (2007), Azad added.
The award is given by Rotary International since 1995 to recognize governments and world leaders who have made outstanding contribution toward the goal of eradicating polio.
The award is in recognition of the efforts made by India and Azad`s role in particular towards eradicating the debilitating disease.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof