Intensify immunisation efforts: WHO
New Delhi: The World Health Organisation (WHO), which is observing the year of intensification of routine immunisation in Southeast Asia, has said the region will adopt a more aggressive strategy to address the issue of low immunisation.
Countries will observe the first World Immunization Week globally starting Saturday, the WHO said Friday.
Given to immune a person against infectious diseases, vaccines stimulate the body`s own immune system to protect the person against subsequent infection or disease.
"Nearly 9.7 million children in the region still do not get the most basic of vaccines like the third dose of DTP-containing vaccine. Immunisation is one of the most cost-effective public health interventions," said Samlee Plianbangchang, WHO regional director for Southeast Asia.
"Growing opportunities through new funding as well as research and development initiatives should not go in vain due to the lack of perceived benefit. We need to increase public awareness and ensure that the general public understands how immunisation saves lives," Plianbangchang added.
The current estimated immunisation coverage for DTP3-containing vaccines in Southeast Asia remains relatively low at 73 percent, the WHO said.
While some countries have achieved high national coverage (90-95 percent), others are experiencing challenges in establishing universal coverage in different states, provinces and districts that pose a variety of barriers.
The WHO Regional Committee for Southeast Asia adopted a resolution in September 2011, endorsed by all 11 member states, declaring 2012 as the year of intensification of routine immunisation.
"As part of intensification efforts, North Korea, the Maldives, Myanmar and Timor-Leste will introduce pentavalent vaccine in their routine immunisation schedule. Other countries are currently assessing the introduction of other vaccines by gathering evidence-based data on disease burden, as well as through financial sustainability studies," the WHO said in a statement.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Exclusive: Prakash Javadekar's views on issue of climate change before UN summit
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russia strikes down Goa, India from its safe travel destinations list
- Intolerance issue: Aamir Khan's remarks 'innocent', says Rajkumar Hirani
- Arvind Kejriwal backs Tarun Gogoi's claim over Guv favouring BJP, suspects 'coop federalism'
- PM Modi leaves for Paris to take part in Climate Conference