Kerala bans gutka, paan masala
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala government Friday imposed a complete ban on the sale and consumption of gutka and paan masala in the state.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy told reporters that the government order was passed May 22 and the news would be passed across the state in a few days.
"Violators of the law can be imprisoned for up to six years and a fine of Rs.5 lakh will be imposed on them," Chandy said.
"A special official has been designated in each district who would be assisted by a team to see that the ban is enforced in the right manner," he said.
"One reason why we decided to come out with the ban was because of the increasing number of cases of gutka-induced ailments."
The notification banning these products has been made under the provisions of the Food Safety and Standards Regulation Act, 2011.
Tobacco-based gutka and paan masala is already banned in Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Karnataka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sam Allardyce gets England job at second time of asking
- Multiple deaths reported in Munich shopping centre shooting, police operation underway
- Hungarian Grand Prix: Nico Rosberg seals deal as Lewis Hamilton crashes out in Friday Practice
- Tour de France: Chris Froome extends lead despite crash as Romain Bardet wins stage
- Missing IAF plane: Parrikar likely to visit Chennai tomorrow