Kerala bans gutka, paan masala
Thiruvananthapuram: The Kerala government Friday imposed a complete ban on the sale and consumption of gutka and paan masala in the state.
Chief Minister Oommen Chandy told reporters that the government order was passed May 22 and the news would be passed across the state in a few days.
"Violators of the law can be imprisoned for up to six years and a fine of Rs.5 lakh will be imposed on them," Chandy said.
"A special official has been designated in each district who would be assisted by a team to see that the ban is enforced in the right manner," he said.
"One reason why we decided to come out with the ban was because of the increasing number of cases of gutka-induced ailments."
The notification banning these products has been made under the provisions of the Food Safety and Standards Regulation Act, 2011.
Tobacco-based gutka and paan masala is already banned in Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Gujarat and Karnataka.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Ajay Devgn, Emraan Hashmi starrer 'Baadshaho' begins shoot!
- Nitish Kumar seeks PM Modi's help to desilt Ganga, says feel like crying at river's condition in Bihar
- INSIDE DELHI METRO: Is this what happens to men who enter ladies coach? WATCH
- Gujarat Assembly ratifies GST Bill unanimously
- Ketan Mehta awaits 'official' word on heading India's Oscar jury