Mystery illness: Nails grow out of hair follicles
London: A woman has been labeled a medical mystery after falling victim to an unidentified illness that causes nails to grow out of her hair follicles, the Daily Mail reported Friday.
Shanyna Isom, 28, suffered an allergic reaction three years ago which caused the debilitating syndrome, which has left her struggling to walk and carry out daily chores.
The university student was left covered in hard scabs as "nails" replaced the hair on her body and doctors are still in the dark about how to cure Shanyna`s mysterious illness, according to the newspaper.
Isom lives with her family in Memphis and was in her first year at university when the nightmare began.
In September 2009 she was prescribed steroids after suffering an asthma attack and within hours the law student was "itching" all over her body. Shanyna became bedridden as the illness took over and doctors tried to determine what was wrong.
In 2011 she began treatment in Baltimore where doctors established that the bumps were in fact human nails slowly covering Shanyna`s body.
Today doctors have yet to diagnose her but have been able to control her symptoms.
She relies on family and friends for financial help and they have rallied around her for support.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH