National panel to study drug abuse among children
New Delhi: A study to gauge the extent of drugs and substance abuse by children will be taken up across the country, National Commission for Protection of Child Rights (NCPCR) said Monday.
The study, to be conducted by the NCPCR in collaboration with All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) and 142 NGOs, will be the first of its kind to focus on children. The survey will take place in 100 cities across the country, and is expected to cover over 4,000 children.
"The commission is concerned about the prevalance of substance and drug abuse of children in the entire country," said NCPCR chairperson Shanta Sinha.
According to Sanjay Gupta, executive director of the NGO Chetna, which is working to rehabilitate child-victims of drugs and substance abuse, children mostly used substances like whitener, otherwise used as correcting ink.
The study was commissioned following several petitions on the issue filed by Chetna and other NGOs.
"Presently, we do not have any substantial and comprehensive data, but a large number of children are falling pray to substance abuse, using whitener," said Gupta.
A study by Chetna in 2009 estimated "the sales of whitener among street children and working children at between Rs.24 lakh (Rs.2.4 million) and Rs.67 lakh (Rs.6.7 million) per day in Delhi".
NCPCR member secretary Lov Verma said the commission would look at involving all stakeholders to solve the problem of substance abuse among children, as also to sensitize the police on the issue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27