`No drug-resistant TB case in India`
New Delhi: There are no cases of total drug-resistant tuberculosis (TB) reported in the country and the cases reported by a Mumbai hospital fall in the category of extensively drug-resistant TB, according to a report submitted to the health ministry Friday.
A central team comprising senior chief medical officer, Central TB Division (CTD), consultant (Drug Resistant TB), and national programme officer (laboratory) was sent to Mumbai Tuesday following reports of P.D. Hinduja hospital detecting first cases of total drug resistant TB in India.
The team submitted its report to the health ministry Friday.
According to the report, out of the 12 reported patients, nine were traced and found to be stable on the current treatment while three have since died.
"A careful audit of their prescriptions revealed that these three patients had received erratic, unsupervised second-line drugs, added individually and often in incorrect doses from multiple private practitioners in an attempt to cure their multi-drug resistant tuberculosis," the report highlights.
Following the cases, the Municipal Corporation of Greater Mumbai and the Maharashtra government have decided to strengthen the TB service delivery systems in the city.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Street food in Delhi contains high levels of faecal matter
- Meet 92-year-old Phyllis Sues who dances toTango
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Watch: ISIS prisoner digging his own grave
- 50 percent refund on Tatkal ticket cancellation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- Erstwhile Mysuru kingdom gets new king
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi
- UP: Govt to distribute free sanitary napkins to all girls in school
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result to be declared on May 29
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- CBSE (cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in) Class 10th (X Board) Result 2015 declared
- Maggi noodles likely to face ban in India, FSSAI orders sample examination
- Heatwave toll in Andhra Pradesh reaches 1,490
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- WBCHSE (wbchse.nic.in & wbresults.nic.in): West Bengal Class 12th Result 2015 to be announced shortly
- Watch: Dance guru Prabhudheva's mind-blowing act in 'Happy Hour' from 'ABCD2'!
- CBSE 10th Result 2015: CBSE (cbse.ac.in & cbseresults.ac.in) Class 10 (X Board) Result shortly