Onions key to happiness?
London: They may reduce millions of housewives to tears, but a survey has found that onions are a key ingredient to happiness.
The survey claims the humble onion is the foodstuff which brings most pleasure per penny, followed by carrots, baked beans, bananas and potatoes.
Shoppers were quizzed on 100 everyday staples to find out how happy they made them, relative to price.
More than 1,500 people rated products based on nine categories - Moreish, yummy, healthy, fashionable, comforting, looks, taste, smell and expense.
Onions beat off favourites such as milk chocolate, crisps, cakes and beer to take the top spot in Sainsbury`s new Live Well For Less index.
Mackerel, lamb, salmon, beef, wine and butter were among items at the bottom of the list.
TV presenter Lorraine Kelly, who launched the index, was quoted by the `Daily Express` as saying, "This dispels the myth that chocolate is the answer to happiness."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic
- Red hot! This TV actress looks unapologetically sexy in bikini – See pics
- Check out! Riteish Deshmukh's colourful 'Banjo' poster
- Tamil Nadu: Two children electrocuted, 40 injured as live wire falls on school bus, probe ordered
- Salman Khan – Sanjay Dutt friendship turns sour?