`Polio a huge embarrassment for Pakistan`
Islamabad: Pakistan has been "infamous the world over for exporting terrorism" and now there are fears of it exporting the polio virus to other countries, a leading daily said Friday, noting that India had been able to contain the disease.
An editorial in the Daily Times said that the poor results of the polio eradication programme had led the World Health Organisation (WHO) to warn that Pakistan might face travel, visa and other sanctions if it fails to control the virus.
"The situation is indeed alarming as Saudi Arabia has already made the vaccination mandatory for Pakistani pilgrims before they leave Pakistan to avoid transmission of the virus to their country. Other countries are also thinking of following suit, which could create problems for Pakistani travellers," it said.
"It is also a matter of huge embarrassment for Pakistan as it is one of only two countries in the world where this disease is still prevalent. Even our neighbouring country India, with over one billion population, has been successful in containing polio," the editorial added.
The daily cautioned that the people of Pakistan are still under threat and also posing a serious threat to the people living across the globe as the polio eradication programme has not been effectively implemented.
It said the government has to seriously tackle the misperception among some sections of the public about the polio vaccine, "which some benighted people characterize as a conspiracy to render Muslims infertile".
Stating the issue is serious and directly related to the life and health of children, the editorial said that the nation cannot "afford any neglect or corruption in this regard".
"Our country has been infamous the world over for exporting terrorism and now the world is disturbed over the possible export of the polio virus from Pakistan to their countries. We need to work tirelessly to improve this situation," it added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India