Ready to assist encephalitis-hit Bihar: WHO
New Delhi: The World Health Organisation Friday said it was ready to provide all assistance to encephalitis-hit Bihar.
Talking to reporters here, WHO India representative Nata Menabde said that while WHO was ready to provide all assistance for establishing what the virus was, it had not been approached by the government yet.
"We don`t have any specific project at present, but we are open to providing assistance whenever the government approaches us. We have all the expertise," Menabde told reporters.
She also said that the WHO was providing some assistance based on requests by the Bihar government.
Menabde stressed on including Japanese Encephalitis (JE) in routine immunization.
"JE vaccine should be included in regular universal vaccination programme," she said.
An encephalitis infection which has already claimed the life of over 200 children and affected nearly 600 in Bihar as per official data, has symptoms of encephalitis but is not Japanese Encephalitis.
Pune-based National Institute of Virology (NIV) had Thursday said that the disease spreading through Bihar called Acute Encephalitis Syndrome (AES), is not Japanese encephalitis. It is yet to be established what the infection actually is.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2, Chennai Super Kings vs Royal Challengers Bangalore: Preview