SC asks govt to examine homoeopathic drug for cancer treatment
New Delhi: The Supreme Court today asked the Centre and the Central Council for Research in Homoeopathy to conduct clinical trial of a homoeopathic medicine for treatment of cancer patients.
A bench of justices B S Chauhan and Swatanter Kumar directed that a task force of the Council, to be headed by the Centre`s Director General of Health Services, would examine the effectiveness of the homoeopathic medicine, invented by Dr A M Mathur, in cancer treatment.
The court passed the order on a plea by World Homoeopathic Development Organisation, a Gurgaon-based organisation, which had sought the court`s direction to the government to "commission research for homoeopathic composition for cure of cancer."
The plea claimed that the drug, invented by Dr Mathur, could be an efficacious, cost-effective and safe alternative treatment for cancer patients.
The organisation had moved the apex court following the doctor?s failure to convince the Union ministry of health and family welfare?s department `Ayush` and the Council to hold clinical trial of the drug for cancer treatment.
The bench, after hearing the argument, directed the Council to examine the drug and submit a report to it within three weeks.
"It is not an adversarial litigation. Think of human good. If the drug is useless then throw it out," the bench said while posting the case for further hearing on September 3.
According to the plea, Dr Mathur has been treating cancer patients with the medicine since 1999 after he got it patented with the government. He had also been issued license to manufacture and sell the medicine.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what
- MP student proposes Congress VP Rahul Gandhi's name to Guinness Book for losing maximum elections