Scientists examine human breast milk component
New Delhi: A study by the University of Illinois has unravelled the strange way in which Oligosaccharides, the key component of human breast milk, protects a newborn.
It shows that Human Milk Oligosaccharides (HMO), which is found only in human milk, produces fatty acids that feed and help inhabit good bacteria in the gut of an infant.
HMO not only protects the newborn against harmful bacteria in the short term, but also strengthens the baby`s immune system so that it can protect chr
onic health problems like food allergies and asthma.
“We refer to HMO as the fibre of human milk because we don’t have the enzymes to break down these compounds. They pass into the large intestine where the bacteria digests them.’
“We’re curious about the role they play in the development of the breast-fed infant’s gut bacteria because the bacteria found in the guts of formula-fed infants is different,” says Sharon Donovan, professor in nutrition and health at the University of Illinois.
The scientists while conducting the study, obtained breast milk from mothers of preterm infants at Chicago`s Rush University Medical Centre, and the HMOs were isolated and analyzed.
"When the HMOs were introduced, the bacteria produced short-chain fatty acids, at some cases at higher levels than other pre-biotics now used in infant formula. The short-chain fatty acids can be used as a fuel source for beneficial bacteria and also affect gastrointestinal development and pH in the gut, which reduces the number of disease-causing pathogens," she said.
The study, which has been published in the April issue of the Journal of Nutrition, has for the first time, shown that HMO produces patterns of short-chain fatty acids that change as the baby gets older.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened