Superbug exists, but nothing alarming: Walia
New Delhi: Downplaying the threat of superbug in city hospitals, Delhi Health Minister AK Walia Friday said the prevalence of the infection is "very low" and cannot be termed "alarming."
"There is a very low prevalence of NDM1 infection (New Delhi Metallo beta lactamase) which exists as confirmed in tests conducted in ICUs of a number of hospitals. It is between the range of 0.04 percent to 0.08 percent which cannot be stated as alarming," Walia said after a high-level meeting called in the wake of a study that reported the prevalence of superbug in Delhi hospitals.
Tests conducted in ICUs of a number of hospitals like RML Hospital, Lady Hardinge Hospital and Sir Ganga Ram Hospital have confirmed the prevalence of the infection.
Walia added that the infection control committee in Delhi government hospitals is in place.
Walia also said that infection has not been found in the water and sewage flow in Delhi.
"It (superbug) is a world wide phenomenon and such infection has been found in most of the countries including in Southeast Asia and Eastern Europe," said Walia.
In the meeting chaired by the minister, he stressed on the rational use of antibiotics and restricted use of the 3rd and 4th-generation antibiotics.
The meeting was attended by the Maulana Azad Medical College dean and medical superintendents of Lok Nayak Hospital and Chacha Nehru Bal Chikitsalaya.
A team of experts from Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, additional secretary of National Institute of Communicable Diseases and senior officers from Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) were present at the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- Niti Aayog to hold consultations today with states on 15-year vision document
- Coal scam: Rathi Steel, 3 officials convicted; quantum of sentence to be declared today
- Alarm bells for Nawaz Sharif! Huge protests rock PoK, locals allege ISI rigged polls in favour of PML(N)
- Chill guys! There's still time for Deepika Padukone, Fawad Khan film
- Rio Olympics 2016: Narsingh Yadav's fate hangs in balance as NADA takes final decision today