Superbug exists, but nothing alarming: Walia
New Delhi: Downplaying the threat of superbug in city hospitals, Delhi Health Minister AK Walia Friday said the prevalence of the infection is "very low" and cannot be termed "alarming."
"There is a very low prevalence of NDM1 infection (New Delhi Metallo beta lactamase) which exists as confirmed in tests conducted in ICUs of a number of hospitals. It is between the range of 0.04 percent to 0.08 percent which cannot be stated as alarming," Walia said after a high-level meeting called in the wake of a study that reported the prevalence of superbug in Delhi hospitals.
Tests conducted in ICUs of a number of hospitals like RML Hospital, Lady Hardinge Hospital and Sir Ganga Ram Hospital have confirmed the prevalence of the infection.
Walia added that the infection control committee in Delhi government hospitals is in place.
Walia also said that infection has not been found in the water and sewage flow in Delhi.
"It (superbug) is a world wide phenomenon and such infection has been found in most of the countries including in Southeast Asia and Eastern Europe," said Walia.
In the meeting chaired by the minister, he stressed on the rational use of antibiotics and restricted use of the 3rd and 4th-generation antibiotics.
The meeting was attended by the Maulana Azad Medical College dean and medical superintendents of Lok Nayak Hospital and Chacha Nehru Bal Chikitsalaya.
A team of experts from Sir Ganga Ram Hospital, additional secretary of National Institute of Communicable Diseases and senior officers from Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR) were present at the meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- CBSE Class X Results 2015 to be announced today?
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in