World Blood Donor Day- save a life
Shillong: As nations across the world celebrate World Blood Donor Day today, the 14th June, the main objective is to create awareness of the need for safe blood and blood products, not forgetting to thank voluntary unpaid blood donors for their life-saving and compassionate gifts of blood.
The Global theme for 2012 World Blood Donor Day is- “Every blood donor is a hero.” It stresses on the idea of encouraging every individual to be a part of this generous feature by voluntarily donating blood regularly to the disadvantaged and needy people.
Various organizations in India take part in celebrating the event every year. Among them is the Meghalaya AIDS Control Society, which in association with Meghalaya State Legislators’ Forum on HIV and AIDS, Meghalaya State Transfusion Council and licensed blood banks of the state will also jointly observe World Blood Donor Day with the theme ‘Every Blood Donor is a Hero’ from Thursday.
“To create awareness for safe and continuous blood supply, June 14 is observed as World Blood Donor Day every year. However, this year we are launching a month-long programme focusing on the idea that everyone can become a hero by donating blood,” says S Laloo, project director of the Meghalaya AIDS Control Society.
“While recognizing the silent and unsung heroes who save lives every day through blood donation, the theme also strongly encourages more people all over the world to donate blood voluntarily and regularly,” he said.
Laloo also added that the goal of World Health Organization is that all countries must be able to obtain their blood supplies entirely from voluntary unpaid donors by 2020.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living
- Pakistan's ISI spy ring busted in India, BSF jawan among 2 held in Jammu, 3 agents apprehended in Kolkata