2 min of intense exercise helps elderly stay healthy
London: Experts have revealed that intense workout regime for only 2 minutes twice a week over a month and a half would help people aged over 60 stay fit and lowered their chance of suffering a heart attack or stroke.
It doesn't require seven days a week exercise that the current Government guidelines promote. People should do muscle-strengthening activities on two or more days a week that work all major muscle groups such as legs, hips, back, abdomen, chest, shoulders and arms, the Daily Express reported.
Experts found that a quick blast of activity staves off the ravages of time and makes for a fit and healthy old age by cutting blood pressure and improving performance in everyday tasks.
Dr John Babraj from Abertay University in Dundee, said that as long as people put their maximal effort, whatever speed that happens to be, it would improve their health.
The researchers found that the functional capacity, the ability of those doing the HIT to get up off a chair or walk six meters, significantly improved by between 15 to 20 per cent.
Caroline Abrahams, charity director at Age UK, said that there was a really strong body of research that demonstrated the importance of exercise in later life; however it's important to find the right kind of exercise for elderly people, so they should consult their GP.
The study is published in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Parade and hang Tiger, not Yakub: Salman Khan
- Mann Ki Baat: PM Modi pays tribute to Kargil war martyrs
- India to give fresh dossier to Pakistan on Lakhvi, Dawood, Hafiz
- Salman's controversial tweet on Yakub Memon a 'contempt of court'?
- Veterans serve country but do not get their due, says Anna Hazare
- Watch: Yuvraj Singh takes up Shoaib Malik's challenge, puts on his dancing shoes
- Mann ki Baat: Govt to provide cashless treatment to road accident victims, says PM Modi
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Exercise, healthy food prevent knee pain in adults with diabetes