All your brain need is exercise
New Delhi: A new study has revealed that older people who regularly exercise at a moderate to intense level may be less likely to develop the small brain lesions, sometimes referred to as `silent strokes`.
The study involved 1,238 people who had never had a stroke. Participants completed a questionnaire about how often and how intensely they exercised at the beginning of the study and then had MRI scans of their brains, an average of six years later, when they were an average of 70 years old.
A total of 43 per cent of the participants reported that they had no regular exercise; 36 per cent engaged in regular light exercise, and 21 per cent engaged in regular moderate to intense exercise. The brain scans showed that 197 of the participants, or 16 per cent, had small brain lesions, or infarcts, called silent strokes.
People who engaged in moderate to intense exercise were 40 per cent less likely to have the silent strokes than people who did no regular exercise. The results also remained the same after the researchers took into account other vascular risk factors such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol and smoking.
However, there was no difference between those who engaged in light exercise and those who did not exercise.
The study was published in the medical journal of the American Academy of Neurology.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened