Altered brain function behind weight gain
Washington: Researchers have found new evidence for the role of the brain in obesity and weight gain.
Although obesity typically results simply from excessive energy intake, it is currently unclear why some people are prone to overeating and gaining weight.
Because the central nervous system is intimately involved in processing of hunger signals and controlling food intake, it is assumed that the cause of weight gain and obesity might be in the brain.
In a new study researchers at the University of Turku and Aalto University measured the functioning brain circuits involved in processing of rewards with multiple brain imaging methods.
The participants were morbidly obese individuals and lean, healthy controls. Their brain glucose metabolism was measured with positron emission tomography during conditions in which the body was satiated in terms of insulin signalling.
Brain responses to pictures of foods were measured with functional magnetic resonance imaging.
The results revealed that in obese versus lean individuals, brain glucose metabolism was significantly higher in the brain’s striatal regions, which are involved in processing of rewards.
Moreover, obese individual’s reward system responded more vigorously to food pictures, whereas responses in the frontal cortical regions involved in cognitive control were dampened.
“The results suggest that obese individuals’ brains might constantly generate signals that promote eating even when the body would not require additional energy uptake,” said Adjunct Professor Lauri Nummenmaa from the University of Turku.
“The results highlight the role of the brain in obesity and weight gaining. The results have major implications on the current models of obesity, but also on development of pharmacological and psychological treatments of obesity,” Nummenmaa added.
The results were published recently in scientific journal PLoS ONE.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics