Barefoot running may be less efficient
Washington: A new study has raised doubts over the minimalist running shoe movement, which may have prompted people to ditch their running shoes.
Researchers at the University of Colorado in Boulder evaluated 12 barefoot runners on a treadmill sporting lightweight shoes or nothing but lead strips taped to their bare feet.
The results were surprising as the researchers found that running barefoot provided no physiological benefit in efficiency.
In fact, runners used 4 percent more energy per step when running barefoot.
“Running barefoot offers no metabolic advantage over running in lightweight, cushioned shoes,” the researchers concluded in the study.
Earlier studies have suggested that running barefoot is easier as there is no added weight.
But that thinking does not take into consideration every variable, including the cushioning that shoes provide.
If people are not wearing shoes, the researchers believe, their legs absorb more of the impact of running, causing them to work harder.
“What we found was that there seem to be adaptations that occur during the running stride that can make wearing shoes metabolically less costly,” Jason R. Franz, who led the study, said.
The “barefoot” runners in reality wore thin socks to maintain hygiene and safety, and the shod runners wore Nike Mayfly lightweight shoes.
“There is some evidence that shoe design characteristics other than mass may influence metabolic cost,” the authors wrote.
“Thus, we selected this running shoe in particular because it has some cushioning but no other features such as medial posting/arch support or various other motion control elements,” they added.
The study has been published in Medicine ‘n’ Science in Sports ‘n’ Exercise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Para SF of Indian Army - The specialised combat force!
- Haryana Minister Anil Vij takes back his insulting comments against Gandhi
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Assembly elections: BJP likely to announce its first list of candidates for UP, Uttarakhand
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre