Brown fat burns calories in adult humans during cold
Washington: Brown fat burns energy to generate body heat in healthy adults during cold conditions, a new study has revealed.
The team of researchers — led by Andre C. Carpentier, at Universite de Sherbrooke, Sherbrooke, Quebec; and Denis Richard, at Universite Laval, Quebec City, Quebec —also showed that brown fat does not burn energy at warm temperatures.
Brown adipose tissue (often known as brown fat) is a specialized tissue that burns calories to generate body heat in rodents and newborn humans, neither of which shiver.
Recently, adult humans have also been found to possess brown fat. This fact piqued the interest of researchers seeking to combat the obesity epidemic, the thought being that if they could develop ways to increase the amount of brown fat a person has that person will become slimmer.
One hitch to this idea is it has never actually been shown definitively that brown fat in adult humans can burn energy.
According to Barbara Cannon and Jan Nedergaard, at Stockholm University, Sweden, these data have significant implications for the human obesity epidemic.
In particular, they noted that the data generated by Carpentier, Richard, and colleagues indicates that developing ways to increase the amount of brown fat a person has is unlikely to make that person slimmer, what is needed is a way to make sure that the brown fat is active and burns calories.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Watch: ISIS terrorist blown into pieces while bragging about his previous victory
- Shocking! World Cup winning cricketer forced to sell 'kachoris' to make a living